Being an autistic solo traveller
I'm sure that nearly every person who is reading this blog knows someone who is a solo traveller, but how many of you know an autistic solo traveller? I don’t know anyone who is, apart from myself. I am a 26-year-old solo backpacker currently on a Working Holiday Visa in Australia, and I knew for a fact I wanted to do this on my own. I wanted to use this as an opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and be the best me that I can be. One thing that isn’t often spoken about in society is the opportunities and skills autistic people have.
From a young age, I have always loved traveling. After doing many trips in the past I wanted to try being a solo backpacker. I’ve completed a few big challenges already ranging from spending 3 months living in a rural village in Tanzania building a toilet block for a primary school to trekking the Himalayas in Nepal.
Despite doing a lot of traveling in the past, my Australia trip was different because I didn’t go through any organization - this was just me setting my own rules for work and travel. I know traveling has given me a lot in the past, so I wanted to try something different. I think society can make you think the only way to be successful in life is to go university, get a degree, have a good job then settle down and have kids. I decided to go against this, so after working in retail for 3 years, I managed to save up and start my adventure.
Sometimes you need to do something different and traveling to a new country can be a good way to experience life. As I am an autistic backpacker, I need to have a plan, not do too many activities at once, and make sure I give myself some downtime to chill. I’ve spent a few months living and working in Sydney and I have just finished traveling the East Coast of Australia. This has made me face some big challenges, like moving from different locations for a small amount of time, staying in various hostels, and putting myself in uncomfortable situations. If you know me, you know one of my biggest fears is being put in a new environment with new people. My goal is to face this fear and understand the difference between what I think is happening and what is actually happening. I can say this has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. All of this has taught me is to be myself and one of the pros about being a solo traveller is that you don’t have to force yourself to anything don’t want to. Some days I love being around others and other days I would rather just put my headphones in and go for long walks. I have learnt how there are some days when my social battery can run out quickly so I might need to pay a bit extra at times to give myself a private room or accommodation so I can chill and charge myself back up.
Traveling is different for every autistic person, some struggle more with being in large crowds or party hostels than I do. I am able to manage it as long as I give myself quiet time if I need it. I’m glad to be autistic, it makes me stand out. Although it gives me different challenges, I wouldn’t change the journey that I am on as it helps me achieve my goals and plans for the future.
I want to use this blog to help anyone who feels like they are hiding something they are ashamed of. I’d like people to never feel this way and learn to love themselves. It’s taken me nearly 26 years to accept I have autism, after trying to hide it for years, and I wouldn’t want life any other way. I feel it is important to challenge yourself to do something new, even if it means getting out of your comfort zone. You only get one opportunity at life, so make sure you push yourself and enjoy it!
Comments
Post a Comment